Monday, January 11, 2010

To skate or not to skate....

A week has passed since my last post.  I've only skated twice this past week once on blades once on wheels.  A bout of bad food left me out of commission last Tuesday forcing me to miss RSST practice.  We also have practice Thursday nights but due to the 8:30 pm ice time its difficult for me to make.  Long work days and having to be up early on Fridays takes it toll on me by the end of the week.  Saturday morning practices typically go well, though I don't usually skate my best a 07:30 am.  I'm usually just warming up and getting my skate legs at the time we're finishing practice. 


Sunday morning derby practice had a decent turnout despite a small contingent of skaters absent due to a bout in Albany the previous night.  The girls are beginning to get used to the routine of a off skate workout followed by on skate drills.  I'm becoming familiar with the derby terms, references, and drills.  I really need to get adequate knee pads so I can practice the different fall techniques I'm supposed to teach. 

"I can't teach it if I can't do it". 

I've always believed the most effective coaching takes place when a coach can demonstrate the technique being taught.  Knowledge of the movement through personal experience gives the coach better insight when directing the athletes through the movement or technique being taught.  This I believe adds the the effectiveness of the coach and enhances the relationship between athletes and coach.  Its the lead by example method. 

I work myself as hard as the athletes I train, pushing myself, pushing them, to exceed their own expectations, to go beyond what they believe to be their limitations.  Every athlete  has something they excell at,  its important to identify what that something is and exploit it to its fullest.  For example, if a speed skater excells at corner entry, focus on that,  build off the corner entry to incorporate a better pivot position, then to corner exit, foot speed, then to straight a way stride.  Use their best mastered technique as their starting point.  Knowing they are good at one technique gives them the confidence to master then next and so on.  I never allow an athlete to flounder at a technique they are having trouble mastering.  I will break it down in to small parts and have them master one small aspect of the technique before moving on to the next.  If they are not getting it or its coming slowly, I have them run through it few times, then stop and do something they are really good at.  This gives them time to clear their heads, reaffirm their skills before returning to the new task at hand.  Whether right or wrong I have seen and experinced good success with this method of coaching.  Repetition of poor technique, reinforces poor technique, repetition of proper technique, reinforces proper technique.  It is easy to say and comprehend, yet it can be a tricky thing to teach.

Skate on.
~TR

1 comment:

  1. "i can't teach it if i can't do it"

    so simple, yet so true.

    thanks for working with us! i have to say, although the conditioning exercises absolutely kill me, i find them kind fun... sure there's the same old boring sit-ups, but stuff like the burpees and running backwards, well, they kinda remind me more of all the silly shit you do as a kid when you're just playing around... more like fun than an exercise class or something.

    good to have you on the team!
    -dee

    ReplyDelete