Monday, July 4, 2011

Make every run an adventure.

Running whether on trails or the road can be an adventure.  Many people I've talked too tell me how running can be boring or monotonous.  The steady sound of one's foot fall the rhythm of breathing for some can be hypnotic and relaxing, others a reminder that they are forcing their bodies to move in a way it's not accustomed.  I tend to fall into the first category.  For those in the second,  creating a distraction can be of great benefit.

During particularly long runs keeping the mind active will reduce the likelihood of focusing on the effort and strain being put on ones body.  With pain come doubt and negative thoughts, aches are accentuated, and the will to keep moving challenged.  A few techniques I employ to distract myself, and to keep me engaged in the activity at hand include;
  •  Treasure Hunting:  I look for unique items along the road or trail.  Junk to some, running treasures to me.  Some of my past finds include, feathers, crushed bottle cap, super ball, coins, pine cones, rocks, etc.  Keep a jar in the garage or by the door and drop your item in to it at the end of the run.
  • Make every run a trail run:  Some say they don't like to run on the road, easy fix, run along the side of the road.  I typically run along roads without side walks, country roads.  I mix up running in the gravel and dirt a long the edge of the road, the grass between the road and the ditch.  On roads lined with mailboxes, the mail trucks keep the dirt and gravel along the edge of the road relatively flat keeping the pitch neutral.
  • Run in a Cemetery:  I'm fortunate enough to have several large cemeteries in the area I live.  They are scenic, hilly, have a combination of paved, gravel, cobblestone, dirt roads, & trails.  Best thing is little or no traffic.  They been haven for runners of every ability.  No, it's not creepy to run in a cemetery, if that's what you were thinking.
  • Off the beaten path:  Particularly in the spring and fall I enjoy going off trail and following deer paths. I only do this in the area parks where hunting is not allowed.  The fun in following deer paths is that they are unpredictable and typically have many obstacles to navigate.  Trying to maintain a steady pace is the challenge and very fun.  Do this cautiously depending where you live.  Here in western NY we are relatively certain there are no animals roaming the woods capable of eating us.  This can't be said in other parts of the country so use your discretion if venturing off trail. 
  • Run a thin line: To work on my balance and agility I will occasionally run on the top of the curb.  Several neighborhoods in the area have curb lined streets perfect for this activity.  The curbs are not always flat, have dips, and mailboxes to dodge.  Running curbs takes a lot concentration, one misstep can result in a twisted ankle or more often a scuffed ankle bones.  The benefit of this activity, at least for me, is worth the occasional ankle scuff.  I've gotten so I can maintain my pace without breaking stride as I traverse the curb tops.
I hope some of these tips and tricks will work for you and help keep your motivation to run.  Share back any ideas that you may have so we can all keep the running faith alive and well. ~TR

Dream~Strive~Succeed

No comments:

Post a Comment