Thursday, July 14, 2011

Lord of the "black flies"

So,  while on our annual Cape Cod vacation the wife, kids and I always make it a point to visit the dune cliffs in Truro.  This year we decided to make an evening trip to this outer cape location.  The beach at the end of Long Nook road is a well hidden piece of paradise.  Locals and those who really try hard to find those special, lightly trafficked, beaches on the Cape are the only ones who find this unique site.

The beach is situated the end point to Long Nook Rd. The road ends in a small parking lot and a spectacular view of the North Atlantic.  A coupe wooden post signify the roads end.  Once parked you make your way toward the beach, as you approach the wooden posts you get your first view of the sandy descent to the waters edge.  The beach is set some 80 ft below the roads edge.  The trail to the beach is steep, deep, rich golden sand.  The beach a thin strip of sand separating water and the 100ft sand cliffs rising to the high grassy dunes of the outer Cape.

The weather this night was perfect, low 80's, clear deep blue skies, light warm breeze, and an unusually calm ocean.  As we entered the parking lot we were surprised to see only one other car in the process of leaving.  Yeah, we're going to have the entire beach to ourselves.  We parked and began to exit the car. We looked over at those departing, smiled and gave a cordial wave.  The deeply tanned gentleman waved back and in a thick Boston accent responded with an ominous warning " the flies are really bad tonight, you really won't enjoy yourselves".   Not really knowing how to respond to such a  greeting we smiled and replied thanks for the warning we'll give it a try.  I reached for the bug spray.

Marie and the kids had already exited the van and made their way to the trail head with beach bag in hand.  I was taking a moment to apply a healthy dose of bug spray, know well that bug spray has little effect on the deer and black flies that inhabit this part of the Cape in midsummer.  I typically am the one in the family that acts as a magnet for any biting insects, mosquitoes & deer flies in particular. The running joke in the family is "just stand near Dad and he'll keep all the bugs away form the rest of us. They'll be attracted to him so the rest of us won't get bit".  Must be my fatherly duty.  Take one for the team.

As I finished applying the bug spray a slightly panicked Marie comes running toward the van, OMG where's the bug spray.  the urgency in her voice apparent.  Behind her coming from the trail head were Weston and  Jenna swatting at an invisible pursuer making unintelligible sounds and squeals with mixed with a hint of terror.  I see as Marie reaches the van a some swarm of dark dots trailing behind her,,, Black Flies!  I have her turn and douse her with bug spray.  The kids are next, I toss the can to Wes and he begins to apply it to himself and Jenna.  I laugh  and begin to make my way to the beach. 

The beach bag full of towels and nets was dropped at the head of the trail leading to the beach, dropped there by my panicked now traumatized family.  As I reach for the bag I notice it is completely covered in black dots, all sides equally covered.  There had to be hundreds of flies attached to the nylon webbing, staged, just waiting for some warm body to move by their perch.  Warm bodies mean food.  I reach down grab the bag and begin to run headlong down the steep sanding trail toward the waters edge.  A cloud of black in strong pursuit. 30 m form the water I drop the bag and continue way run for the water.  Looking back I realize the swarm has again resumed their perch on the bag's sides.  Satisfied I've ditched my pursuers, I begin to take in the sights and sides of the evenings walk along the oceans edge.

Squeals and shrieks disrupt the peacefulness of the moment,  here come Marie and the kids.  Still running and swatting,  clouds of flies in trail.  I look down and around myself,  nothing, an occasional fly lands on my legs or shirt I give a gentle shake and way it flies.  That's unusual I think to myself.  Marie makes her way to me in a light jog,  a thick swarm of flies still trying there best to grab a quick bite.  "OMG, the bugs are horrible" she exclaims.  Stopping momentarily, the flies indulge on their pry. Owe!  Holy crap they bite!!  She continues to swat and run.  The kids in the background continue the dance of run, spin, shriek, swat, run, half laughing half panic.

Me, still unaffected by the swarm.  Marie runs back by me exclaiming "look at you, there aren't any around you?!"  I smile,  redemption!, I think to myself.  I continue to stroll along the water's edge enjoying the evenings warm ocean breeze and the unusually calm Atlantic surf.

The kids make their way to me now only a few flies en tow.  Marie now makes her way to us still being followed by a plague of flies.  I toss her the van keys and tell her where the sweat pants are in the van,  she turns and runs with her little cloud of friends in hot pursuit.  Viscous little things. We walk along the surfs edge.  As we walk we notice the beach is alive with little beige hopping shrimp like creatures.  Hopping in the sand at the water's edge then being swallowed up by waves pushing up the beach like hand reaching, grasping the little creatures and bringing them back to where they belong.

A loud distinctive whistle breaks through the air,  we look back to see Marie at the top of the trail, waving us back and still swatting.  We turn and head back.  As we get closer to the trail lead up from the beach the dark little predators begin to converge yet again on the kids.  They break into a run and up the steep sandy trail they go.  I then realize the now black beach bag still sits along on the beach.  As I approach, the bag now completely covered in flies, sits quietly,  I plot my move.  I begin to jog toward the bag reach grab and then run.  A cloud of black erupts, I glance back and the cloud rises, dives and begins it's sprint toward the bag.  The steepness of the trail and the deepness of the sand slows my forward progression to a crawl,  though the effort remains at a maximum.  The flies have caught me.  They swarm around me, the buzzing becomes unnerving.  I can feel them landing on just about every part of my exposed body momentarily, then taking flight caused by my continuous movement  upward.

As I crest the small sandy summit a new group of  unsuspecting sightseers have arrived.  The swarm begins to immediately lighten around me and divert their attention to the fresh arrival of another meal source.  I look froward to the van,  inside I see my family swatting and hear the muffled shrieks and laughs from within.  I open the back hatch, to a chorus of shouts to "close the door, they're inside".  I grab a net and swat the sides of the bag,  the flies take flight, I toss the bag in the bag of the van and slam the hatch shut.  The files disperse and the newly arrive visitors to the beach begin their dance of the flies.  A few additional swats and I'm in the van.

Marie and the kids exclaim "I can't believe they left you alone!"  I smile inside, start the van and begin our ride back to Brewster.  The length of our visit was probably 30 minutes in total,  for me it passed like 10 minutes for Marie and the Kids, more like an eternity.  Like I said,,,,,,,, Redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment