Sunday, July 3, 2011

Getting back in the race.


It's been awhile since I last posted to my blog.  A lot has changed of the past year.  New job being the biggest change.  Though I thought the position change would lighten the work load.  Instead it just changed the work load no lighter just different.  But since this blog isn't about work,,,enough about that. 

Last years skating season was less than what I was hoping.  I skated and trained hard all summer, had a good fall start then pulled a calf muscle that then plagued me the remainder of the season.  I only compete once all of last year in October and was able to PB in my 500m and 777m.

Last summer I focused on in-line training after the ice season completed,  I skated several times a week in conjunction with dry land sessions, speed skating and roller derby.  I did some running on the side and ran a "adventure style" half marathon in the fall.  I believe all the skating over the summer left me a bit under motivated come the fall.  At times I was desiring a break from skating. 

This summer I've decided to limit the skating and focus on running.  I will continue the dry land sessions and train for a 20k in august, a half in Sept and Oct.  The race in Oct being the Out of Bounds Half up and down Bristol Mountain. It's a brutal race, all trail, ski slopes, and off trail climbs. Very steep, muddy, and at time questionably safe.  Awesome fun!  They feed you at the end of the race, half a BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, beans, rolls, & drinks.  Best after race meal yet.

The Sauerkraut 20k in August is a close second in the after race meal category. The race is on road, very hilly throughout, and typically hot being August.  After the race you are served up Bratwurst, Hamburgers, beans, and a big hot helping of sauerkraut!  Believe me its the best tasting meal after running in the heat.  I try and find someone to ride with each year because its immediate food coma after filling my belly.  I love sauerkraut by the way.  I forgot to mention every runner gets cans of free sauerkraut! 

You may see a theme in how I pick the races I like to run.  I look for those races with good quality shirts, (typically technical wear), excellent post run food, or the course has features and obstacles not typically found in other races.  Gotta keep things interesting and challenging.


This spring I participated in a 6 week running clinic which finished with the participants running in the McMullen Mile.  A track meet in which the only distance run is the Mile.  Runners were seated based on their estimated mile time.  I had never run a mile for time, but based on my training lap times over the previous five weeks I chose 5:45 as my target time.  I'm proud to say my new Mile PB is 5:36.62.  I'm quite satisfied with my results having never trained for this short a distance.  I finished 3rd in my age group and even received a bronze medal.  I discovered its a race that is hard from the start to the finish.  I kinda liked it.  So my new training goal over the next year is to knock 3 seconds off each lap and go for a 5:24.00 next year.  The national level runners that competed were very impressive,  the winning time was 4:03.  The leaders ran 1/4 mile splits faster than I can even run all out.  They were all 21 years old however.  Let's see where they are 25 yrs from now!?

New Mile PB 5:36.42

McMullen Mile 2011












So,,, I'll have to see where this year leads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment