Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tuesday Evening Cobb's Hill Workout - Limitless

Tuesday's are Cobb's Hill Workout day for the Rochester Speed Skating Team, Roc City Roller Derby team, family & Friends of each.  These workouts have been running every Tuesday evening at Cobb's Hill  in Rochester, NY since 2001, Spring, Summer and Fall.  Winter months we are on ice or in a rink. 

These workouts have evolved over the years, from being speed skating specific, to now, a more general overall fitness program.  We still throw in the skating specific drills, along with a robust core workout and plenty of hill repeats.  The workout is what you make of it.  I give it structure, and lead each exercise and drill.  Athletes decide the number of reps & effort based on their personal fitness level and inner desire to improve.  Some athletes push themselves to their physical limits, others, it's their social outlet for the week.  There is no judgement, only encouragement.  Everyone is there for their own reason, discovering their inner athlete, that peaceful center discovered through movement and physical exertion.

For me its an outlet, a moment I'm free to forget the day, the duties, responsibilities, self imposed through the need to provide.  The harder I push, the higher the intensity, the more peaceful the experience.  I crave the moment the movement becomes effortless, that moment when your body begins moving detached from conscious thought.  The outside world become quiet, I'm free to think without distraction, time evaporates, passes without perception.  Its a place I've found through years of training.  Do I find it every time I'm exercising?  No, but it's more frequent now that I understand and recognize what gets me there.  Can I describe it? not really, I know what it feels like and I like how it makes me feel.

So, if you're ever out at Cobb's Hill around 6pm on a Tuesday evening and see a bunch of people running in a pack, jumping up stairs, or doing bizarre looking drills only speed skaters can recognize, feel free to join in and explore your limits.  You may just find out they are much higher then you ever imagined.

Dream~Strive~Succeed

No comments:

Post a Comment